RAMBLINGS

of a well-worn mind

Friday, March 9, 2012

California Here We Come! Part 5: Pebble Beach, Monterey, and Carmel!

On a whim, I decided to explore Pebble Beach, Carmel and Monterey.  My Mom, Dad and Siblings had spent some time down there when they were younger so I wanted to check it out. 

First Stop:  Pebble Beach.  In terms of sheer beauty, Pebble Beach might just be the most beautiful area off 101.  And that's saying a lot.








 There's a golf course here that goes right to the water. 

 I tried really hard to get some good shots of the pelicans but this was the best I could do while driving and shooting from the sun roof in the midst of massive wind and some rain!


 You can tell how windy it was.... glad I wasn't in one of these before it fell over!















After Pebble Beach I decided to explore Monterey and stop for some much needed sustenance- CREPES!







Off to Carmel!  It was getting late so my main stop in Carmel was Mission San Carlos Borroméo del río Carmelo, also known as the Carmel Mission. 







 The above was off in a darkened corner of the Mission. 
The two images below were taken of a detailed village tableau.  It was enormous and quite lovely.












As I wandered around taking photos of every gorgeous nook and cranny, I suddenly found myself standing at the front of the church hall facing all the pews filled with monks.  They had entered so quietly I had no idea a service was about to begin.  Hurriedly, I moved to the back and appreciately recorded the voices raised in song.



2 comments:

Carrie said...

wow, you got the full experience! I LOVE some of those statues, esp. the close-up of the side of the woman's face, where you can see her kind of crumbling under her eye. Coolio.
Okay, just what is it with you and the crepes? Huh? Admit it, it's an obsession, isn't it?

AtomicWarBride said...

Shhh... no one is supposed to know about the Crepe Obsession! :)