I was lucky enough to attend several screenings of Seattle's Noir City film festival.
My husband wrote about a few of them in his review:
But here's my brief take on the lot of them:
Pitfall with Dick Powell, Lizabeth Scott, Jane Wyatt, and Raymond Burr:
Suffice to say Burr is once again mesmerizing as a sleazy b*tard.
Larceny with Shelley Winters, Dan Duryea, John Payne. Shelley Winters
absolutely steals the show as a saucy dame dating Duryea while seducing Payne.
She delivers one delicious line after another. I am paraphrasing here because I
couldn't take notes but two of my favorite lines: "If she's your little sister,
I'm a boa constrictor in heels" and "I've got 4 or 5 bullets left- I don't
remember- I'm out of practice- it's been so long since I killed my mother"
Ican't say enough about what a great ride this film was.
Cry Danger- Another Dick Powell film, this time with Rhonda Fleming, William
Conrad. Another decent noir, but I have to confess that I would have preferred
to see Burr play Conrad's role... I think he would have added that extra Zing to
the part.
The Mob with Broderick Crawford, Ernest Borgnine, Neville Brand, and a wee bit
of Charles Bronson. This was my absolute favorite film of the festival.
Crawford was amazing- so convincing that I forgot I was watching a film and
thought I was a fly on the wall. Loved loved loved it.
He Ran All the Way- John Garfield, Shelley Winters. Shelley has a more
thankless role in this one (vs. Larceny) but she does a great job of pulling
your heart strings. Garfield is, as usual, great at doing a slow (or maybe not
so slow in this case) burn.
Supposedly none of these films have made it to dvd. I sure wish they had! I so
need to own Larceny and The Mob!







No comments:
Post a Comment