RAMBLINGS

of a well-worn mind

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Richard Burton


It was Richard Burton's Birthday the other day so TCM celebrated by showing many of his best films. 
I've had a crush on Richard Burton (those eyes! those lips! that voice!) since I was little so I've already seen many of them.  Among my favorites: Night of the Iguana, Cleopatra, Becket, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf.... to name just a few.


Many books have been written about the wild Burton: his drinking, his acting, his on and off-again steamy love affair with Elizabeth Taylor.... so I won't even try to write about his life here.  Suffice it to say, he was one hell of an actor.  If you aren't familiar with his films you owe it to yourself to dive into them.  All bias aside, I recommend Night of the Iguana as a great film to start with.  How can you beat the combination of Richard Burton, Ava Gardner and Deborah Kerr in a film directed by John Huston and based on a play by Tennessee Williams?!














2 comments:

HeartFire said...

Hi Rita,
I just love Richard Burton, and my absolute fav movie is Night of the Iguana.

Chris said...

LOVED Richard Burton! And Russell Crowe has nothing on him!!

great post.