RAMBLINGS

of a well-worn mind

Saturday, December 13, 2008

I am Heartbroken


I am Heartbroken. One of my earliest childhood crushes, Van Johnson, has died. He was 92. Ever the handsome and charming man, Van Johnson was a heartthrob in the 40's. I was one of many who succumbed to his charms, tho' I fell for him many years later (1970s) thanks to my mom and her love of classic Hollywood films. Most people my age probably remember him from his guest stints on Batman- as The Minstrel. And a true minstrel he was- he was a multi-talented actor who could pull off comedy, musical, or drama with equal aplomb. If you haven't discovered Van, I highly recommend Thirty Seconds over Tokyo, A Guy Named Joe, Battleground, and Caine Mutiny. Caine Mutiny is a brilliant film on many accounts- most notably, I think its Bogart's finest performance and both Fred MacMurray and Van Johnson give him a run for his money.
My husband is far more eloquent in his assessment of Van's talent- please take a look at his blog.

I wrote to Van many years ago and was lucky enough to receive a personal reply and autograph. He was as effervescent via mail as he was onscreen.
I will miss you Van Johnson!

No comments: