What a life he led! Actor, Author, Marine, Sailor, member of the OSS during WWII. He left and returned to Hollywood several times, something few actors were ever able to do successfully.
He acted in such gems as The Asphault Jungle, Johnny Guitar, The Star, Crime of Passion, The Killing, Dr. Strangelove, The Godfather... and so many more. And from the photos below you can see why I have had a crush on him for a long long time...







If you haven't seen a Sterling Hayden film, you owe yourself a look-see. You'll find quite a few on dvd! I'm desperately hoping Johnny Guitar (one of my favorites of his and Joan Crawford's films) will be given the Criterion treatment one of these days. It is a real treat to watch but is currently unavailable on dvd in the US.
Now stop reading this and go look for some Sterling Hayden films!

2 comments:
Sometimes it is years knowing someone before you know who is their type. I will keep and eye out for one of his films and I do remember seeing some already. I watched lots of movies with my parents as a kid.
Interesting what you can find out on a blog...
Catherine
I just saw the film "The Star" with Sterling Hayden and Bette Davis for the first time. In the movie he takes her out on a sailboat for the afternoon. I know that he owned several boats over the years. I was just wondering if that could have been one of his boats. I know that it was not "Wanderer" as that was a much larger boat (around 80 feet or so).
Post a Comment