RAMBLINGS

of a well-worn mind

Friday, November 7, 2008

My Secret Life as a Geisha


We are back from Japan!!

My head is too full of colorful memories right now to be able to jot them all down in a coherent manner, so I'll start by giving some brief recaps and flashing some photos now and then.

First up: Our experience dressing up as a Maiko (Geisha apprentice) and Samurai.

I was sent to change into a way-too-small "nightie" of sorts and then sent up to sit in a long line of women being assembly-line painted into Maiko and Geisha likenesses.

I was the only Gaijin (foreigner).

First the white powder and then the rest of the makeup.



Then it was time to pick out a kimono. And wait.
When it was my turn to be dressed, my breasts were smashed and tied. My movement was severely restricted. I was tied tighter and tighter with each passing layer of clothing (I lost count of the layers as I lost breath). I could barely breathe (each time the woman who dressed me would tighten something on me, she'd say "not too tight eh?" and I'd say, "yes a little" and she'd laugh and go on to the next piece!)

Then time for the wig, which weighed as much as a small human. The whole process took over 2 hours!
Then I was shoved out the door into those giant shoes and voila, time to walk and pose!



Tony and I had about 30 minutes out there to walk around and pose.

The photographer had her own poses in mind, for the most part. I couldn't breathe and my eyes were tearing up like crazy from all the powder/makeup and wind, so I think I look a bit like a zombie in half the shots. Plus Iwasn't wearing my glasses so I couldn't see 3 feet in front of me!!! And it took all my concentration to maneuver in those shoes!
But I can honestly say it was a blast!! I loved it!!!!!
After she was finished photographing us, she gave us leave to wander a bit longer and take our own photos of each other.

I was worried that it would be a cheesy and touristy experience or that we would offend someone, but I needn't have feared.  We were the only gaijin there! Its obviously very popular with Japanese women too!



To me, it was a way to feel a part of the Japanese culture that I love so much. Cheesy, Touristy- perhaps. But fun all the same. And eye-opening in terms of being able to experience first hand what goes into a Maiko's or Geisha's fashion routine.

The best part was that I was a huge hit w/ all the Japanese visitors to the nearby shops and temple... I was asked again and again to stop and pose for them or even with them. I wish I had photos of all the folks we posed with.  Most of them wanted us to do the peace sign!  (As an aside:  there was another gaijin couple, not in costume, that were wondering why we all kept making V's with our hands- LOL).
We had ablast!! I sort of felt a little like a celebrity. LOL. I kept hearing people yelling words for "beautiful" and "pretty" at me. It was all very sweet.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You guys look TERRIFIC!!!!!!!! I'm so sorry that you had kidney problems on your trip! What a bummer!!! Take care and get well soon.

Sandi

Tamara C said...

How fun! But I'm sorry you had to end the vacation with a trip to the hospital! Hopefully it was all worth it anyways. :)

I'm also glad you enjoyed your secret sister package! I did a lot of sneaking around on your blog to try and figure out all your tastes. Heh Heh! Hopefully there will be some things that inspire you in there.

Thanks for the cool Japanese ephemera you sent! I actually collect bookmarks, so this great one will go in my special box -yes, I store them away and use paper scraps to mark pages! Chuckle!

Hope you are feeling better soon and thank you for signing up for the secret sister swap! I had a fun time putting together your goodies!

Hugs, Tamara