RAMBLINGS

of a well-worn mind

Sunday, July 20, 2008

My Latest Addiction: Painting Pottery




My Friend Mish and I are addicted to painting pottery. Its all her fault- it was her idea in the first place. Now we are on a painting spree, targeting all the pottery places near Seattle, leaving pottery in our wake everywhere we go. LOL.

Here are some recent pieces:

My stone lantern before firing: I used natural paints (that look brown when put on), and I etched thru the top few layers of paint for added texture and pattern.








Here's the finished piece, after firing! Notice the gorgeous greens/browns- this is how the natural paint looks after being fired.









This last photo is the inside of the lantern! Painted w/ the same paint as the middle, but because of the location it fired to be more brown than green. Nice!!







The following are two 4x4 tiles I created that same day- these pics are from after the firing:







On another pottery painting spree, I decided to try my hand at fused glass: Here's my piece before firing!


What it looks like now that its been fired and slumped into a square bowl-shape:






This piece is a large tray. I decided to try a "bubble" technique- I blew bubbles into a cup of water mixed with paint and dish soap and then swiped the tray over the bubbles. This image is before firing.



After Firing:

You can see how dark the red became- looks awesome in person!

No comments: