http://popculturepetridish.blogspot.com/2007/10/50-greatest-horror-movies-rotten.html
As you can see from the above link, my husband has counted down his top 50 horror films of all time, as a response to the list generated by Rotten Tomatoes, and this has inspired me to add my 2 cents to this 2 dollar bill.
I started out just making a top 50 list myself, and then decided I’d like to separate them out into a few categories instead. Naturally, there are valid arguments against some of these films being strictly within the horror genre, but that just goes to show you that labels are oftentimes meaningless.
I cheated a little- I have some films that tied for my affections so after spending a ridiculous amount of time trying to choose between them, I decided to just have some "TIES". So I picked more than 50. Sue me.
THE film that started my love of horror:
Dracula (1931). The original is the best, hands down. There's no arguing that Bela Lugosi is Dracula. And the man I wanted to marry as a child.
Films that Chilled Me:
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956). Forget the endless remakes- the original left a huge impression on me as a child. Its a brilliant film that manages to both entertain as well as stimulate deep philosophical discussions afterwards.
The Fly (1958). Again, forget the remakes. The original is my favorite- and it scarred me for life!
Kingdom of the Spiders (1977). OK so it may be a bit of a cheesy film but the ending will give you goosebumps. And besides, it features William Shatner. Need I say more?
Dracula Has Risen From the Grave (1968). This is my favorite of the Christopher Lee/Hammer Dracula films, and not just because it was the first Lee/Hammer Dracula film I saw as a child. I've seen it repeatedly over the years and am enamored each time. The opening scene with the church bell is shocking even today, and the use of lighting is riveting.
Psycho (1960). This is the only horror film that I had to turn off, compose myself, and then start watching again. It's that chilling. And the shower scene is nothing compared to the ending shots of Anthony Perkins looking up into the camera with an expression that even as I write this still gives me goosebumps. It is the single most horrifying scene ever filmed. What I want to know is, to what depths of depravity in his mind did Perkins have to sink to be able to pull an expression like that?
The Exorcist (1973). This film has been praised by those far more eloquent than me so all I will say is that I found it riveting.
Aliens (1986). You may argue that this is Sci-Fi not horror but explain that to my furiously pumping heart and oh-so-cramped hands (from clinging to the theatre seats). I thought this film was going to give me a heart attack at the age of 16!
M (1930). How director Fritz Lang manages to get the audience to sympathise with child murderer Peter Lorre remains a glorious mystery to me. One of the most chilling and haunting films ever made.
Phantom of the Opera (1925). The unmasking scene is still one of the most horrifying scenes ever filmed and in fact, still gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. To think that the film is 82 years old!
TIE: In the vein of Psycho: Paranoiac (1963). I second Tony's praise of Oliver Reed's performance in Curse of the Werewolf, which almost made my list. But his performance in this film is an especially tasty treat! Cape Fear (1962) and Night of the Hunter (1955). It could be argued that both of these films are more "thriller" than "horror" but outside of Anthony Perkins in Psycho, the horror personified by Robert Mitchum in both of these films remains unsurpassed.
Jaws (1975). Scared the bejeebers out of me.
TIE: Soylent Green (1973), Omega Man (1971), and Last Man on Earth (1964). Three post-apocalyptic chillers starring Chuck Heston and Vincent Price respectively. I firmly believe that the best horror and sci-fi are the ones that make you really THINK.
Atmospheric Classics:
The Wolfman (1941). Wonderfully tragic tale; Lon Chaney Jr. at his best.
Frankenstein (1931). What more can be said about this film? Classic!
Bride of Frankenstein (1935). A more witty horror film you'd be hard-pressed to find. Brilliant all the way around.
The Invisible Man (1933). Claude Rains is absolutely delicious in this film- if you think Bride of Frankenstein has a wicked sense of humor, try this one on for size.
The Haunting (1961). The sound alone in this movie will knock your socks off. Its hands down some of the most brilliant use of sound I've ever heard in a film. Not to mention, a brilliant cast and script- its a home run for director Robert Wise. Plus, I'm a sucker for Russ Tamblyn.
The Mummy (1932). A romantic horror film. How often does that happen?
Cat People (1942). Great atmosphere in this little gem! You can see why it has become a cult favorite.
Nosfertu (1922). My favorite scene? The shadow of Nosfertu's hand clenching at the heart of his victim.... Its perfection.
Frankenstein Created Woman (1967). Peter Cushing. Need I say more?
TIE : House of Usher (1960). The first of the Corman Poe flicks, this one is perhaps not as brilliant as, say, Masque of the Red Death, it manages to evoke enough mystery to please any horror fan. And you have to love Vincent's appearance in this one. Dashing. Tomb of Ligeia (1964). Vincent Price. Notice a recurring theme here? I love his fashionable but brooding self in this one. An unusual film, but effective. The Pit and the Pendulum (1961). I agree with Tony that the last shot of Barbara Steele is chilling. Another great Price horror film.
Ha Ha- Horror!
Evil Dead II (1987). Bruce Campbell = funny.
Fright Night (1985). If you're any kind of horror fan, you can't help but love this film. I mean, it features Roddy McDowall for horror's sake!
Young Frankenstein (1974). Mel's greatest film. More fun than a roll in the hay.
Shaun of the Dead (2004). Hilarious. Frickin' Hilarious.
The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975). I ask you, how can you resist this film?
Arsenic and Old Lace (1944). Another humorous horror-themed film- a classic.
Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part II 1986). Only a handful of movies have dialogue as choice as this one. A more quotable horror film is hard to find!
The Raven (1963). Watching Peter Lorre, Vincent Price, and Boris Karloff goofing off is the dream of any classic horror fan.
Love at First Bite (1979). I can’t help it- I love this movie! George Hamilton is a comedic genius.
In for a Wild Ride:
GOKE Body Snatcher from Hell (1968). Tony says it all on his blog. This is a brilliant, chilling, psychedelic ride.
The Mask (1961). Put the Mask on NOW.
The Thing (1982). One of Carpenter's best, hands down.
The Sixth Sense (1999). I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this film.
The Dead Zone (1983). Hands down, the best film adaptation of a Stephen King novel.
The Prophecy (1995). Speaking of Christopher Walken, this film (well, the first 3 films actually) give him a chance to do what he does best- steal the screen! But watch out for some alluring work by both Eric Stoltz (whom we just don't see enough of these days!) and Viggo Mortenson.
Lake of Dracula (1971). Moody, colorful, Japanese gem. Genuinely spooky in places. Very atmospheric. Its one of 3 Japanese Dracula films from that same time frame. I have yet to watch the other two but this one makes me want to!
Wild Zero (2005). You can't go wrong with Guitar Wolf, zombies, musical numbers, hermaphrodites, flying saucers, hot pants, flaming guitar picks, zombie love, and pompadours. Trust me on this.
Uzumaki (2000). I can't write more about it right now because my screen is forming a perfect spiral that I find completely mesmerizing and I can't tear my eyes away....endless, circling.... spiral.....
28 Days Later (2002). A great modern take on the traditional zombie film. (OK, those of you who want to argue about whether they are really zombies or not, please just silently roll your eyes and move on to the next one).
Just plain fun!
Count Yorga (1970). Robert Quarry is enticing and wicked in person as well as in this colorful vampire flick. He's way more interesting than Frank Langella in the 70's Dracula remake.
TIE: The Blob (1958). OK, so some people may consider this to be a cheesy film, but I think it works. The build up of uncertainty and terror is effective even if some think the monster is less so. The Tingler (1959). "Infofreak" from Australia describes this film as "b-grade thriller with a hidden core of surrealism almost worthy of Bunuel or Cocteau" and I couldn't agree more.
TIE: Bat People (1974). I love this movie. Its got an interesting premise, some great lesser-known actors, and a kind of innocent gusto that I just find so appealing, and Return of Dracula (1958). Francis Lederer turns in a chillingly effective performance as Dracula in this too-oft-forgotten gem.
Blacula (1972). I'm a sucker for vampire films and this one, tho' often relegated to the cheesy exploitation section of your local video store, is a gem thanks to William Marshall's eloquent and classy performance.
TIE: Whatever Happened to Baby Jane (1962). You may chuckle but you will also cringe. This is a truly terrifying film- a glimpse into psychosis the like of which you may never see (unless you're me and have a Baby Jane of your own in your family, which I do, but that's another story....) and Strait Jacket (1964). Let's get this strait, er, straight. I love Joan Crawford. So all of you wire hanger waving freaks can just go play by yourselves and leave me alone to enjoy her chain-smoking, booze swilling boyfriend stealing homicidal self. So there.
Theater of Blood (1973). Vincent Price + Robert Morley + Poodles = HORROR. That's all I'll say on the matter.
TIE: Attack of the Crab Monsters (1957). Giant Crab Monster speaks French after eating a Frenchman. Could there be better filmmaking than that? I say no. The Killer Shrews (1959). Put mops on dogs' heads and you have the ultimate in terror! Brain From Planet Arous (1957). John Agar's best performance as a maniacal brain from outer space, with a scene stealing effort by the hero of the film- a dog. (Natch!) Wasp Woman (1960). Susan Cabot turns in a riveting performance in this Corman classic- Viva La Feminism!
The Night of the Lepus (1972). not so GIANT rabbits EATING tomatoes but LOOKING FIERCE! (Take that Jasleen!)
TIE: Blood of Dracula (1957), I was a Teenage Werewolf (1957), and Monster on Campus (1958). Three great films full of angst and raw energy.
No comments:
Post a Comment